top of page
  • Writer's pictureJurgita Hales

What insurance do I need?

Understanding Landlord Insurance

One of the questions you may frequently encounter from landlords is, "What insurance do I need?"

Navigating the world of insurance can be complex, especially when it comes to ensuring that property/portfolio is adequately protected. Let's take a closer look at the different types of insurance relevant to landlords to provide you with a clearer understanding.

Landlord Insurance: Also known as buy-to-let insurance, landlord insurance covers the specific risks associated with letting a property that may not be covered by standard home insurance. This insurance protects you against damage to the building caused by various perils, including fire, flood, storm, and burst pipes. Additionally, you have the option to add coverage for accidental damage, loss of rent, landlord emergencies, and legal expenses. The latter can cover costs related to contract disputes, tax investigations, repossession, and eviction of squatters.

Portfolio Landlord Insurance: For landlords with multiple properties in their portfolio, portfolio landlord insurance offers a comprehensive solution. This type of insurance combines coverage for multiple properties under a single policy, simplifying administration and potentially providing cost savings. It offers the same protections as standard landlord insurance, including coverage for property damage and optional add-ons like loss of rent and legal expenses. Portfolio landlord insurance is ideal for landlords looking to efficiently manage and protect their diverse property portfolio.

Landlord Contents Insurance: Landlord contents insurance provides coverage for the repair or replacement costs of items belonging to the landlord that are stored within a property occupied by tenants. It safeguards items such as furniture, appliances, and furnishings. If any of these belongings are damaged, destroyed, or stolen, the insurance policy will cover some or all the associated costs for replacements and repairs.

Rent Guarantee Insurance: Rent guarantee insurance offers protection against tenant defaults or failure to pay rent, reducing the stress and financial burden for landlords. These policies typically last for 12 months and are designed to cover individual tenancies. If you have multiple tenancy agreements within a property, you will need a separate policy for each agreement.

Differentiating Rent Guarantee and Loss of Rent Cover: Rent guarantee cover can be an add-on to landlord building and contents insurance or can be a stand-alone policy that safeguards against rent payment defaults by tenants. It can cover scenarios such as tenants vacating without notice or being unable to pay rent due to job loss. On the other hand, loss of rent cover is typically included in a standard landlord building insurance policy and compensates for rental income lost during a claim for an insured peril. For instance, if a flood renders a property uninhabitable, the insurance will cover the loss of rent during the repair period.

It is essential to use the correct terminology when discussing insurance policies to ensure you have the appropriate coverage. Incorrectly referring to a policy may lead to misunderstandings and gaps in coverage. When in doubt, reach out to insurance professionals for clarification to avoid any unfortunate surprises down the line.

At Branded Bricks, we specialise in outsourced property management and can guide clients to insurance experts that can help with the complexities of insurance, ensuring that clients are adequately protected.

Our expertise and comprehensive services provide the peace of mind and support you need to focus on growing your business and maximising your profits. Whether it's pre-tenancy administration, rent collection, property maintenance or full property, we have the knowledge and resources to assist you every step of the way.

17 views0 comments


bottom of page